About the Role
Board members are an integral part of GSA Link, Inc.’s mission to support and empower LGBTQ+ youth and families. As the Policy & Governance Chair, you will work closely with fellow board members, Co-Presidents, the Policy committee and the community to create accountability structures for the community in various capacities and to ensure that volunteers & staff are both informed and in congruence with policy and values.
What you’ll do
● Volunteer 5-10 hours of your time per month to do the following...
● Serve on the Board of Directors for a passionate and driven nonprofit organization founded and led by LGBTQ+ persons.
● Collaborate on key, high-influence decisions for the organization.
● Participate in monthly board meetings.
● Draft and implement your role’s quarterly deliverables.
● Develop accountability structure and policy for the organization at various levels.
● Serve as the point-person for any complaints about unethical or illegal conduct within the organization to ensure that all are investigated and resolved.
● Link with the Organizational Growth & Leadership Chair to lead the Policy Committee.
● Other, as determined by individual occupying role.
Who you are
● Experienced. You have experience building accountability structures and creating policies & procedures.
● Empathetic. You love examining policies to ensure that they are equitable and accessible. You know when to grant exceptions and when not to.
● Team-Oriented. You work best in a collaborative environment such as brainstorming sessions and conversations with volunteers, board members, staff and community members.
● Social-Justice Oriented. You have a passion for equity and justice and see a need for these values to be reflected in every facet of the program. You understand and want to learn more about social justice topics such as intersectionality and allyship.
● Innovative. You enjoy building something from nothing, and are eager to figure out new ways to try things.
● Active listener. You hear people’s word for truth and see a need to ensure that all feel safe and heard.
● Passionate. You have a real drive to connect, empower and inspire LGBTQ+ youth. You want to create community, belonging and safety.
● Growth mindset. You see opportunities to build something better and more impactful at every turn. You value giving and receiving feedback as means to build trusting relationships, improve the organization and grow personally.
About GSA Link, Inc.
GSA Link, Inc., a nonprofit organization, was founded in 2019 to connect, empower, and inspire LGBTQ+ youth. GSA Link, Inc. connects LGBTQ+ youth to collaborate, share ideas, and build community in a safe space. Through virtual meetings, mentorship programs, workshops, events, education, resources, volunteer and internship opportunities, we not only aim to empower our members, but also build community together.
Commitment to Equity
We understand that there are numerous reasons why someone would read a job description and, despite “checking off most of the boxes”, decide not to apply. Research supports that self-selecting out of potential professional opportunities is particularly common among individuals with minoritized identities or identities that are marginalized in professional spaces such as BIPOC individuals, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons with a disability, neurodivergent individuals, and individuals with a history of institutionalization (e.g. incarceration, immigration detainment, inpatient treatment, or chronic hospitalization). If you question whether or not you would be a “good fit” for this role, please contact us at email@example.com. GSA Link, Inc. values growth capacity and love of learning over experience.
This is a position on the Board of Directors that does not include monetary compensation.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter is an opportunity to share your passion for the LGBTQ+ youth & family community and your experience in fundraising & development. We are so excited to learn about you!
Please do not hesitate to reach out to email@example.com with any questions, concerns or
requests for accommodations for the application, interview or work as a member of our team